The advancement in technology has involuntarily increased the usage of gadgets. Kids these days are most likely to get affected by the overuse of it. If parents won’t keep a check on them, their brain development can get badly affected. So we have put together a list of five effective digital tools to help parents keep an eye on their children’s screen-time.
What is screen-time?
The idea that the term ‘screen-time’ gives us is always related to five major gadgets that are being used frequently in daily lives and consume the most screen-time, they are; television, laptop, tablet, mobile phones, and gaming consoles. The more screen-time is consumed, the more it affects our health. Especially in children, it affects their health negatively.
Effects on Children
Excessive screen-time has adverse effects on child growth and brain development. Uncontrolled usage of Gadgets causes behavioral issues in the children, they become moody and gets cranky more often, their tantrums and outbursts become frequent. They become lazy and couldn’t partake in sports. They become socially awkward and it becomes hard for them to interact with people. They get so addicted to the gadgets that they start skipping meals, and their sleeping hours get shorten. As for infants, the screen-time may slow language development. It cripples the creative thinking. Gadgets stifle the children from partaking in creative and extra-curricular activities that don’t come out good for them.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, there should not be any screen-time for kids under age 2. And for kids older than age 2 can have 2 hours of screen-time, that is enough for them. Parents are asked to take serious initiatives to control screen-time for their children. For instance, make ground rules, change the location of gadgets, limit screen-time. Parents should track the screen-time of their children and set goals to decrease them. They should indulge in activities that would be entertaining for them. Observe screen-free weak and engage them in leisure activities. At the end of the week give them gifts to appreciate them so that they will be motivated to practice in more such activities. Encouraging kids and indulging them in other entertainments is by far the most effective way to limit screen time.
5 digital tools
- BOB- Screen Time Manager: is a device that manages TV time and video game time. It has resolved the ‘TURN THAT TV OFF’ battle and made that easier for parents to manage their children’s screen-time by just making an account that will only be controlled by you as it will be secured by the PIN.
- Time’s up automatic TV and video game timer: parents can set timers on the TV or video game to manage screen-time.
- Mobicip screen-time and parental control app: also help parents to set daily/weekly screen-time for their children. And it also locates the children instantly.
- Kids place - Parental control: displays only parent-authorized apps to kids.
- Zift: reports about all the online searches and apps the child has used.
It would be better to use gadgets for a limited time. Set limited screen-time, set up no-screen time, and no-screen zone. Children mostly look up to their elders in such matters, parents should avoid using gadgets in front of their kids. The parental control apps have made it easier for parents to keep an eye on their children’s technology usage. Parents can easily monitor the screen-time through these gadgets.